I have finally made some progress on my art quilt. You might remember the unbleached muslin panel I painted from this post. I added some layers of pigment to deepen some of the tones since then, cut it into three pieces (a scary prospect at the time), and I’ve finally assembled the quilt top! (Click on the image if you’d like to see it more closely.)
It is fairly small right now at 9 1/2″ x 12″, and I’ve added some hand quilting, but I haven’t bound it off yet. Not sure if I should add another border to it? ***EDIT: I’ve now removed the sculpture due to early feedback!***
The small white sculpture between the first two panes was made out of Sculpey (polymer clay) and fired, but not yet painted. I’m also thinking of possibly making small seagull beads from Sculpey and adding them to the top. And might add a funky beaded fringe to the bottom. Not sure if I’ll stop there or not! The border fabric is a primarily dark green and blue batik fabric – not black, as it may first appear. Here is the fabric next to an ivory piece, so that you can see the colors a bit better:
I’d love to get your thoughts on this. As always, constructive criticism is helpful and most welcome. I would really like to open an online shop before Christmas and sell this kind of thing. I’ve wanted to do it for years, and just starting to feel the urge to really DO it. If you think it needs something added (or subtracted), please do let me know! Thank you so much! Happy glorious almost Autumn weekend to all! Peace.