The Aquabord rinsing experiment WORKED! And I’m pretty happy about it! Almost a whole day after I completed that watercolor doodle from yesterday, and even though I used some staining (quinacridone) pigments, I was able to rinse it off completely, all the way back to the white surface, and go again. This was the result:
I only used my thumbs and warm water to accomplish this, no detergents or scrubbing brushes. At one point, I filled the sink up a few inches with warm water, submerged the whole (4 x 4″) board, and rubbed at it while it was under water to speed the process. It took….maybe five minutes at the most to get my board back, as good as new! Did this painting turn out exactly the way I envisioned it? Does watercolor ever? Does anything ever? But I’m liking this surface a whole lot more now than I did my first time trying it. (I may really rinse that first one – I was going for something that looked more like this.) If I wanted to, I could blot/dab off just parts of the painting and re-do it. Not saying it’s a snap, but in my experience, it was a whole lot easier than rinsing, blotting, or re-doing watercolor with any paper I’ve worked with.
Needless to say, as a watercolor beginner, I’ll be using more of this surface. And I want to thank Vicki Hutchins for inspiring me with her Claybord paintings, because she made acrylics look so cool on that surface that I picked a few of those up, too. Stay tuned. Peace and happy painting to all!